When you're looking for a job, which web site do you turn to first?
I'm guessing it's either CareerBuilder or Monster - probably even both. That makes sense. They’re the biggest and most promoted names in online job boards, after all. But while they may be the most widely used by job seekers, not all employers use these big names to search for new hires.
In fact, there are a handful of other job boards and job search engines that deliver results. Take a look:
- Indeed: This job search engine consolidates all the job listings from major job boards (including Monster and CareerBuilder), newspapers, associations and company career pages. Just enter a keyword and city, state, or zip code to search available openings. [Update: As of June 2009, you can access jobs right from your Pongo account, thanks to Indeed. The Pongo job search tool displays job opportunities that match your Pongo profile, but you can also modify and refine your search by job title, geographic area, and more.]
- Simply Hired: Similar to Indeed, this site crawls job boards and company sites to find local jobs, identify trends, and research salaries.
- Mashable Jobs: Mashable, an online hub for news in the technology field, also posts jobs from the technology sector.
- Job Search USA: Offers job listings from various organizations, including not-for-profits, small businesses, corporations, and educational institutions.
- SnagAJob.com: Features job listings for part-time and hourly positions.
- mediabistro.com: This is mostly an online meeting place for creative professionals, but it also features job postings that are ideal for anyone who creates or works with content, or non-creative professionals who work in a content-related industry. You have to register (for free) to view detailed job listings. (Talent Zoo is another niche site that serves the advertising, marketing, and media industries. You can search for jobs or upload your resume and let employers search for you.)
- Dice.com: This technology-focused site features opportunities for qualified technical and engineering professionals.
- NursingJobs.org: This nursing-specific job site lets you search for nursing jobs by specialty and location, or for travel nursing.
To find an industry specific job board for your field, check out this list of the top 100 niche job boards, or do an Internet search (e.g., Google a term such as "accounting job boards").
If you've been using Monster or CareerBuilder but aren't satisfied with the results, you should expand your resources and search as many job boards as you can. Remember, not every employer uses the big-name boards to find their next new employee.
Have you had better luck with smaller job boards?
Heathcare Links (Thanks Linda!)
US Department of Health and Human Services
Public Health - Human Services Career & Education Resources
US Nursing Careers
Top 100 Niche Job Boards
Job Search Virgin's Guide to Finding New Jobs Online
Ready To Jump Start Your Job Search?